Joe Wurzelbacher (better known as "Joe the Plumber") from the Toledo event may not be a plumber at all. Joe is a close relative of Robert Wurzelbacher of Milford, Ohio. Who’s Robert Wurzelbacher? Only Charles Keating’s son-in-law and the former senior vice president of American Continental, the parent company of the infamous Lincoln Savings and Loan. The now retired elder Wurzelbacher is also a major contributor to Republican causes giving well over $10,000 in the last few years.
Here's the buzz from the internet:
- Wurzelbacher, who says he was playing football outside with his son when he came upon the crowd gathered around Obama, was planted by the Republican party. This would explain how conservative sites got stories posted about him in advance of the debate and how easily everyone else found him for interviews.
- Wurzelbacher is not a registered voter.
- Wurzelbacher may not be licensed in his home state of Ohio.
- Wurzelbacher is related to Robert Wurzelbacher of Cincinnati, Ohio, who happens to be Charles Keating's son-in-law. Keating was implicated in the Keating 5 scandal.
- Wurzelbacher already owns a few companies, which would contradict his claims of being a plumber looking to buy a small business.
Did the Republicans actually think they could put one over on us in these days of Internet access? THINK AGAIN! He's very likely not even a plumber.
Washinton Post item on Joe the Plumber: "Let me note that, on deadline late last night, our crack researchers were unable to find any record of a person by that name with a plumbing license in the state of Ohio." 10/17